Due to the ongoing uncertainty with COVID-19, the North East Specialized Geriatric Centre has decided to cancel the 2020 North East Geriatric Medicine Refresher Day.
It is with great regret that we make this announcement, but the health and safety of our community is paramount. We will all miss the opportunity to gather and network in person, but please know that we remain committed to providing capacity building opportunities in the future.
~2020 North East Geriatric Medicine Refresher Day Planning Committee
2019 North East Geriatric Refresher Day Program
Please see below for an overview of speaker and session topics.
- Dr. Camilla Wong: Perioperative Geriatrics
- Dr. Shabbir Alibhai: Geriatric Oncology
- Jackie Whalen: The Patient Experience
- Tracey Palmer and Shawna McCusker: Keeping the Passion Alive: Intimacy in Older Adults
- Valerie Spironello: Sometimes I'd Rather Be Eating Gelato: The Cost of Caring
- Dr. Lionel Marks De Chabris: Chronic Pain and Cannabis
- Dr. Peggy Richter: Hoarding: A Practical Approach & Dr. Jo-Anne Clarke: Living with Risk
- Dr. Linda Lee: Dementia Diagnosis and Management: 5 Top Tips for Frontline Clinicians & Dr. Paul Oh: Exercise and Physical Activity in Seniors
Goals of this conference: At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Incorporate new skills and knowledge to optimize care of frail older adults in Northeastern Ontario.
- Enhance the practice of maintaing professional and personal wellbeing while providing specialized care to frail older adults in Northeastern Ontario.
- Identify opportunities for development, growth, and collaboration with regional partners in the geriatric community.
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the Continuing Education and Professional Development Office at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine for up to 6.00 Mainpro+ credit(s).
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a custom map. Toggle the fly-out button beside the title to view or hide the list of places included.
- A reduced registration rate is available for students. Please contact us for details.
- A discounted room rate is available at the Holiday Inn Sudbury. Please reserve your room by contacting the Holiday Inn Sudbury at 705-522-3000. Refer to 'GRD (Geriatric Refresher Day)' when making your reservation to access a discounted room rate. A block of rooms will be available until September 16, 2019. View other hotels in Sudbury; please do not hesitate to contact us if you have a question or need a recommendation.
- Use of your electronic ticket is preferred over a hard copy (requires compatible mobile device). An electronic ticket will be available to you once your registration is complete.
- This is a paperless conference. Printed conference packages, including programs, schedules, and speaker notes, will not be provided. Attendees will be responsible for printing the materials they wish to bring to the conference.
- Dietary restrictions and other accommodations will be collected when completing your registration.
- Conference sessions are provided in English only.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
- Driving: Get directions from Google Maps. Parking is available on site.
- Flying: Travel with Porter, Air Canada Express, or Bearskin Airlines to the Greater Sudbury Airport. Science North is approximately a 40 minute drive from the airport.
- Drive, hail a cab, or take public transit.
What can/can't I bring to the event?
- We are trying to operate a paperless event. Therefore, laptops and tablets are encouraged.
- Printed conference packages will not be provided. It is up to you to print what you wish to have with you.
- Participants will receive an electronic program. Please print and bring your own if you wish to have a hard copy.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
- Please direct any questions to NESGC via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to 1-866-551-6501.
Is my registration/ticket transferable?
- Yes. Follow the directions provided to you in your confirmation email or with your e-ticket. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Can I update my registration information?
- Yes. Follow the directions provided to you in your confirmation email or with your e-ticket to log back into Eventbrite.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
- No. In fact, we would prefer you arrive with an electronic ticket on your mobile device. If your mobile device is not supported please do print and bring your ticket with you.
What is the refund policy?
- Registration substitutions are preferred over refunds and will be accepted at any time. Full refunds for cancelled registrations will be provided before September 30, 2019. After September 30, 2019 only partial refunds totaling 50% of the registration fee will be issued.
The name on the registration/ticket doesn't match the attendee. Is that okay?
- We would prefer that ticket and registration information is up to date. If someone bought your ticket for you they should have completed the attendee registration information with your personal details. If a ticket was transferred to you, it should have been updated. Please let us know if you have any questions or require assistance.