North East Specialized Geriatric Centre (NESGC) is a multidisciplinary team of health care providers who deliver specialized care for older adults with complex health needs, as well as expert resources for health care professionals and caregivers throughout Northeastern Ontario.
The North East Specialized Geriatric Centre offers the following clinical services:
- Regional Outpatient Geriatric Medicine Service (previously NESGC): The goal is to reduce the burden of disability of older adults by detecting and treating reversible conditions and managing co-existing chronic conditions. Comprehensive geriatric assessment, treatment and appropriate follow-up plans are developed with the patient/care partner in collaboration with primary care, NELHIN Home and Community Care, as well as other partners in care.
- Geriatric Inpatient Consultation Service (formerly COACH): The goal is to provide individualized recommendations for older adults with acute medical, surgical and psycho-social needs with a focus on improving outcomes, restoring independence and supporting patients’ transition back to community. The specialized geriatric team provides comprehensive geriatric assessment and treatment. The team works in collaboration with patients, care partners, inpatient teams and community partners to manage geriatric syndromes and multiple co-existing chronic conditions and support safe and effective care transitions.
- Geriatric Outpatient Rehabilitation Service (previously Short Term Assessment and Treatment (STAT): The goal is to provide outpatient geriatric rehabilitation for older adults with recent functional decline, falls, and activity limitations, due to an acute or sub-acute change in health. The comprehensive geriatric assessment model of care is used to determine interdisciplinary rehabilitation goals. Based on rehabilitative goals, patients may attend several times a week for 6 to 12 weeks.
- Frail to Fit: Patients may also participate in the Frail to Fit Falls Prevention Program based on the interdisciplinary comprehensive geriatric assessment and patient goals.
- Geriatric Mental Health Outreach Service (previously Seniors Mental Health Outreach Program): The goal is to provide assessment, treatment, counselling, and therapeutic intervention for older adults with late onset or worsening mental health needs related to geriatric complexity. As an outreach service, patients are seen in the home and community setting. Assessment, treatment and follow-up are plans are based on patient need and acuity, typically extending over several weeks or months.
- Behavioural Support Outreach Service (BSO): The goal is to provide person-centred assessment and intervention for older adults presenting with complex needs and responsive behaviours related to neurocognitive disorders or other psychosocial medical factors. As an outreach service, patients are seen across the continuum, including in the home and community setting, acute care, long term care and transitional settings. Follow-up is determined based
- Reactivation Care Unit: The Reactivation Care Unit is a 20-bed acute inpatient unit that specializes in the care of older adults who have experienced a recent change in their health status or a decline in functional ability. Patients are admitted to the Reactivation Care Unit directly from the Emergency Department or can also be transferred from other acute inpatient units within the hospital if they would benefit from the specialized geriatric services that our team can offer. Following a restorative care philosophy, the aim is to provide exceptional and focused care as well as support our patients to improve or maintain their independence and functional abilities while in hospital.